Saturday, May 2, 2009

Reformers

One of the attributes of some people that bothers me the most is what I call reformer syndrome. People who stop smoking are suddenly the hardest on the smokers. Stop drinking? Well, drinking if for dummy's. They stop driving gas cars and say we are all killing the environment. Some reformed people just suck.

I got this call from a girl I haven't spoken to in years. Just a friend and we had been close at one time...but children marriage and distance were all factors in us not speaking much anymore. Well, she calls and apparently, she was baptized recently. (Yeah, baptism seems to be a theme in my friends lives right now. You would think there was a sale or something). But she decides to go on and on about the grace of God. Jesus. The Resurrection. Two whole hours. And in this time she starts quoting bible verses. The wrong verses for the wrong points she was trying to make. I had to tell her she was wrong. Really, had to set her straight. Then she says to me...what do you know about the bible? You might have been baptized but have most definitely fallen from grace.

Now at this point I would have normally given up on the conversation and pinched one my kids to get some screaming action so I could politely get off of the phone (and yes, I'm joking about the pinching). But I felt compelled to get her true opinion on the matter. And it basically boiled down to the fact that she believed there would never be anything I could do to redeem myself for having a child out of wedlock. Then I had to remind her that her first two children both had different fathers, so does that mean that she is also unsaveable? She says that she was baptized after the fact so her sins are forgiven. So do I just need to go get re baptized every time I sin? I didn't get it then. I don't get it now...

So here I open to the floor to the various religious beliefs that float around. Anyone have any opinions (not on me personally...but more the subject of baptizism and sins and all that) ?

No comments:

Post a Comment